Nov 14, 2010

Hurts to breath

 Day Before Surgery
well this week has been highly entertaining and stressful.  I Justin am posting for Adrienne since she is under the weather. on saturday Adrienne and I decided to have a family fun night with Leah.  So we went out to eat as a family and then went to a movie.  We went to MegaMind thinking Leah would like that.  Leah  didn't watch much of the movie but played with the 3d glasses and straws.  Around 9 as the movie was ending Adrienne started feeling sick.  She just passed it off as heartburn or food poisoning. We got home and Leah and I laid down in bed and Leah went right to sleep (as did I).  Adrienne woke me up at midnight and was holding her stomach.  she was in severe pain and was wanting some help.  So I put Leah in her bed and came out and started looking on the internet as to what could cause the pain.  After looking a bit on the internet I decided to talk Adrienne into going into the emergency room.  She didn't want to go thinking she would look stupid if it was nothing but went to the E.R. anyway.  The doctor immediatly identified her as having a gallbladder attack.  They took an ultrasound of Adrienne's gallbladder and the ultrasound showed that it was full of stones and looked infected.  At that point they were all gungho to do surgery on Adrienne but she talked them out of it. She did this by promising she would call a DR veltri and set up an appointment for a surgery the next day.  She came home and the next day she went in to DR Veltri and had a consult.  Veltri told her that they had an oppening next Tuesday.  Adrienne told him that it wouldn't work to do it next week that she had to have it out this week.  so they set it for the next day and John my brother came over and helped me to give Adrienne a blessing.  I worked the graveyard on that monday and got off at 6 in the morning. Adrienne had to be to her appointment at 10:00 in  the morning for surgery so we got up at 8 and I had breakfast and fed Leah (Adrienne couldn't eat anything till after the surgery).  We took Leah to my sister Miriam's house and made sure she was okay .

Surgery
  We then went to hospital expecting to get in and get it done and be out by 1.  After checking in we found out that we would have to wait an extra 45 minutes before they would take us back.  so are appointment was at 10 and ended up waiting till 1:30 in the afternoon till they took Adrienne back into the surgery room.  On top of that it took 2 and 1/2 hours for them to do the surgery.  This is because Adrienne is wierd or at least her body is.  The gallbladder wasn't in the normal place and was deeper in then they thought.  The Gall bladder also had a lot of kinks in it and was full of gallstones.  As doctor Veltri put it "I have never seen a gallbladder like hers before."  The nursing staff let me go back into the recovery room about 5 minutes after she came out of surgery.  Adrienne never looked more beautiful to me.  Even though she was drugged out of her mind, throwing up and disheveled from the surgery.  The doctor made the decision to keep her,over night, this was do to her inflamed gallbadder and lateness of the day and how long the surgery took and how deep it was (pain managment as DR Veltri termed it).  So they took Adrienne to her room and help her to move over to another bed.  She wasn't much aware of what was happening and what she was saying while in recovery. She kept asking what happened and I explained what happened and why she was in the hospital.  After she got to her room she asked me the same questions and I once again explained what happened to  her.  Her favorite comment while in the hospital both under sedation and when she was aware was "It hurts to breath."  After we moved her beds she soon fell asleep and I deemed it was safe to leave.

After Surgery Care
I went and got some dinner from my brothers house and picked up Leah.  while I was at John's house with Leah she kept saying "MAMA" and while in the hospital Adrienne stated "I want my baby several times".  So I decided to take Leah to the hospital to see her mom and hoped it would be a Joyous  reunion.  Once leah saw Adrienne she became quite winney and booby.  Adrienne was in tears as well and quite emotional from it all.  she asked me "why did you let me go through this?"   All I could say was "Its not like it was my choice.  We didn't want you to end up with pancreantitis."   I took Leah home that night and put her to bed but she continued to boob and whine till about midnight.  At that point she started throwing up and screaming at the top of her lungs.  so I got her calmed down and threw her in the bath.  As soon as I laid her back down in bed with me she was out and slept till 7 in the morning.  That morning I took leah to the babysitters so I could go see Adrienne, because I expected to take her home that morning.  Yeah, that didn't happen till about 7pm that night.  So around 2 I went and picked Leah up and brought her back to the hospital where she and her mommy had a better experience than the night before. Around 5 I left and took Leah home for dinner until my wife called me at 6:00 to tell me that the doctor had released her to come home but that I had to pick up some pain medication before I came to get her.  I once again put Leah in the car and took her To my brothers house where they watched her till I could get Adrienne situated at home.  I got the medicine and picked Adrienne up at the hospital.  we had some trouble with the stairs at the house due to the pain she was in.  Once inside Adrienne laid down in bed and was out.  So I went and picked up Leah and Miriam had put her in Pajamas for me.  I brought her home and we laid down for a bit out in the living room to give Adrienne time to sleep.  Leah was quite booby again and so I laid her in bed with Adrienne and me.  She continued to be booby and Adrienne asked have you checked to see if she has a fever and is sick.  I was stupified that I hadn't thought of that earlier and so I grabbed a thermometer and checked.  It read 102 for her temp so I gave her some Tylenol for the fever.   Nonetheless, to say it ended up being a sleepless night for me again.

Home Sweet Home
The next day leah Just clung to me all day.  A dad's dream come true!  Leah had become a daddies girl.  yes it was true she is a daddies girl.  Meanwhile,  I had to help Adrienne get up and down all day from the couch, Bed, and chairs.  To do this I had to set Leah down, this meant more screaming from her and more time to calm her.  yes, It was such a sweet home that day.  With the smell of Leah's throw up having done it twice more that day.  So I accomplished a whole wopping 3 loads of laundry and some dishes being washed. All this resulted in a less than fun filled night.  However, on friday Adrienne felt better and was able to move around a lot easier without help. Georgia(AKA. mom) showed up and watched Leah for a couple of hours.  This helped a ton. Thanks for all the help everyone that offered their support and their assistance. We truly appreciated it.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

What a week for you! Good job on posting Justin, it was fun talking to both of you.

Nichole said...

We're just glad it is turning out okay for everyone. Glad you are doing better Adrienne, ad that it didn't get worse. Thanks for posting Justin, I am sure Adrienne's perspective would have been a little more vague and loopy. :) Love you guys

Allisha said...

You're cute Justin. :) Good post! Glad all went well and you are feeling better Adrienne! :) I think it's always a little scary for your kids to see you in the hospital for the first time. Take it easy! Talk to you soon. :) Hugs and kisses!