Jul 20, 2012

Starting a new adventure...

A little over a year ago Justin and I decided it was time for us to start looking for houses to no avail. Justin and I looked at seemed over 100 house's and not having many in our price range. We were starting to get discouraged, thinking that we would never find a home. Then we started hearing about a self help housing program ran by the government to help families like ours get into a home. This program essentially takes 6 to 8 families at a time and you all build your houses together. Than once your house is completed than you all move in at the same time. This program takes anywhere from 6 to 9 months to complete your home.
So we got the numbers from my new sister in law (Thanks Kate) and started the process in May. We filled out all the paperwork and turned in everything that they needed. Then waited and waited...and we did not hear anything. Thinking that we didn't get in Justin and I felt deflated. Then three days ago we got a call saying we were accepted and that we would be getting a letter in the mail to how much we were approved for and what the next step would be. Lets just say we were pretty excited. Then the next day we got a totally unexpected call saying that we needed to be at the county building to look at lots and plans then next day around 4 pm. Justin and I were surprised thinking it would take longer. We went to our meeting and we met all the families in our group. There are 7 families. All seemed really nice which makes me really excited. We then looked at several plans, There were a lot of three or 2 bedroom homes that we could have built but most of them were kind of a weird lay out. We really liked one in particular that was a four bedroom home. Here is a picture of our house plan. I took it with my camera so you will probably have a hard time seeing what it will look like.
The house is all one level and has four bedrooms, two bathrooms,  kitchen nook, living room, dinning room, 2 car garage, a foyer when walking in the front door. I really liked that all four bedrooms were in the same general area of the house and I also liked that garage is close to the kitchen for bring in groceries. Some of the other plans had the garage on the other end of the house from the kitchen and I didn't like that.  
 After picking the plan it was time to look at Lots. We had a choice of two different lots and I really liked lot number 73.  Here is a picture of our lot that we picked out. The lot backs a field that has horses and sheep in it. I am sure that Leah will love that.
After we picked out lots then we went through the paperwork and learned the rules of the building project etc....All the information was scary and exciting at the same time. Sometimes you think why are  going to do this to ourselves. We have to put in 30 hours a week. Yikes...So if anyone wants to come help once we get started we can have up to two volunteers at a time on site. We would welcome any help that we can get. I will take a actually picture of the lot once I get some time to go up and take one for all you to see!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

That is awesome news! Sounds like a lot of fun and a lot of work. I'd like to put in a few full days - keep me posted.
Jesse